Billington Wesleyan Methodist Chapel
On 19 October 1823, the dwelling place of James Pain of Billington was registered for Wesleyan Methodist worship by William Piggott of Leighton Buzzard.
The Ecclesiastical Census of 30 March 1851 includes a return for Billington Wesleyan Methodist. The return made by Wm Olney, Trustee has 1835 as the date the building was erected although 1838 is the date on the building. There were 80 Free sittings and 53 Other. Attendances were reported as:
|General Congregation||Census Day30 March|
Registration for worship in the chapel was made on 19 April 1861 by Joshua Mottram of Leighton Buzzard, minister.
The 1873 Returns of accommodation in Wesleyan Methodist Chapels records Billington as having 142 Sittings.
After Methodist union, the Billington Primitive Methodist chapel closed in 1951. Worship continued in the former WM chapel until it was sold in 1977. The registration for worship was cancelled on 11 January 1980.
Sources and References
The Ecclesiastical Census, Bedfordshire, March 1851 Volume 54 Bedfordshire Historical Record Society – Edited by DW Bushby
Bedfordshire Chapels and Meeting Houses: Official Registration 1672-1901 Volume 75 Bedfordshire Historical Record Society – Edited by Edwin Welch
Returns of accommodation In Wesleyan Methodist Chapels 1873
Bedfordshire and Luton Archives and Record Service – Community Archives website