Chalton Wesleyan Methodist Chapel

Bedfordshire

Chalton Wesleyan Methodist Chapel

Chalton is a small Bedfordshire village situated by the M1 motorway north of Luton. 

The 1851 Religious Census includes a return for Chalton Wesleyan Methodist Chapel made by Richard Medcroft, Steward. This states that ‘the present chapel was erected in 1836, but there has been religious services held in a house since the year 1800’. The return has 70 Free Sittings, 50 Other and space for 40 people standing. Attendances at worship on Census day were: 

 

General   Congregation

Sunday   Scholars

Total

Morning

20

50

70

Afternoon

80

50

130

Evening

80

50

130

The first registration for Chalton WM was made by Matthew Trevan Male of Dunstable, Superintendent Minister on 9 February 1854. 

The Luton Times & Advertiser on 15 February 1904 noted that the ‘first of a series of teas and entertainments’ had taken place the previous Tuesday ‘with the object of raising funds to alter and improve the Wesleyan Chapel’. However, in 1907 a new chapel was built in an imposing position on the outskirts of Chalton at the foot of Carter’s hill. 

With a declining membership and finance issues, Chalton Chapel closed in 1981. 

Sources and References

Bedfordshire Chapels and Meeting Houses: Official Registration 1672-1901 Volume 75 Bedfordshire Historical Record Society – Edited by Edwin Welch

The Ecclesiastical Census, Bedfordshire, March 1851 Volume 54 Bedfordshire Historical Record Society – Edited by DW Bushby

The Dunstable Methodist Circuit One hundred and fifty years of witness 1843-1993 – Colin Bourne

Luton Times and Advertiser 15 January 1904

No Comments

Start the ball rolling by posting a comment on this page!

Add a comment about this page

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Share this
Share on FacebookTweet about this on TwitterPin on PinterestShare on Google+Email this to someone