Steppingley Wesleyan Methodist Church
The 1851 Religious Census includes a return for Steppingley Wesleyan Methodist Chapel made by Walter Coates, Minister. The return states that the chapel was erected in 1847 and contained 45 Free Sittings, 40 other and 15 standing. Attendances on Census day, 30 March were:
Census Day30 March
Average for preceding
This chapel was in a row of old cottages opposite Steppingley Parish church. Registration for worship was made on 5 February 1861 by Charles Carter, Harpur Street, Bedford, minister. In his book, Steppingley Remembered, Horace Farmer records that the chapel was ‘greatly supported by the Teasdale family who lived at Townsend Farm.’
A new chapel (pictured) was built in 1903 on land donated by the Duke of Bedford. Registration for worship was made on 29 February 1903 and for marriages on 25 March 1905
Efforts were made to mission to the village including in 1932 an evangelistic campaign conducted by JH Haile.
The chapel closed in 1974.
Sources and References
Bedfordshire Chapels and Meeting Houses: Official Registration 1672-1901 Volume 75 Bedfordshire Historical Record Society – Edited by Edwin Welch
The Ecclesiastical Census, Bedfordshire, March 1851 Volume 54 Bedfordshire Historical Record Society – Edited by DW Bushby
Bedfordshire and Luton Archives and Records Service Index
Steppingley Remembered – Horace Farmer
Bedfordshire Times and Independent 19 February 1932