Millbrook Wesleyan Methodist Chapel
Millbrook Wesleyan Methodist chapel was built in 1858. Registration for worship was made by Charles Carter, Harpur Street, Bedford, minister on 5 February 1861.
The Bedfordshire Virtual Library states that the chapel was ‘sometimes known as Soloman’s Temple’ after Soloman Beale who was a Local Preacher .
The 1873 Returns of accommodation in Wesleyan Methodist Chapels 1873 records this chapel as having 106 Sittings.
The Bedfordshire Times 21 July 1939 reported that Millbrook Methodist Chapel had received the rostrum and pews from the Clophill Methodist Church then being demolished. The same report noted that a vestry had also been made and special reopening services held.
Millbrook Methodist Chapel closed in 1973 and the registration for worship was cancelled on 22 September 1975. The ruined chapel still stands in 2015 by an old cartway connecting Millbrook village and the A507.
Sources and References
Bedfordshire Chapels and Meeting Houses: Official Registration 1672-1901 Volume 75 Bedfordshire Historical Record Society – Edited by Edwin Welch
Returns of accommodation In Wesleyan Methodist Chapels 1873
Bedfordshire Times and Independent 21 July 1939
Bedfordshire The Virtual Library – Millbrook Timeline
Photos of the congregation may be seen in the Ampthill Images website