The 1851 Ecclesiastical Census includes a return for Westoning Wesleyan Methodist made by John Odell, Exhorter. This states that the chapel, in existence since about 1846 had 37 free sittings, 23 other and room for 15 standing. Attendances were:
|General congregation on Census Day||39||63|
|Average congregation for preceding 12 months||45||70|
This building was leased from William Aldridge. A new chapel was built in 1863 with Registration of worship being made on 27 August 1863 by Thomas Chope of Dunstable, Wesleyan Minister. The 1873 Returns of accommodation in Wesleyan Methodist Chapels records Westoning as having 120 Sittings.
The chapel had an annexe built on the front in 1981. However, Westoning Methodist Chapel closed and was sold in 2003.
Sources and References:
Bedfordshire Chapels and Meeting Houses: Official Registration 1672-1901 Volume 75 Bedfordshire Historical Record Society – Edited by Edwin Welch
The Ecclesiastical Census, Bedfordshire, March 1851 Volume 54 Bedfordshire Historical Record Society – Edited by DW Bushby
The Dunstable Methodist Circuit One hundred and fifty years of witness 1843-1993 – Colin Bourne
Returns of accommodation In Wesleyan Methodist Chapels 1873
Bedfordshire and Luton Archives and Record Service – Community Archives website