Yarpole

24th March 1991 | Dave Hill
24th March 1991
Dave Hill
24th March 1991 | Dave Hill
24th March 1991
Dave Hill

Croft and Yarpole: Methodist Chapel SMR no. 21507, OS grid ref: SO 4705 6481             

In the centre of Yarpole village is this small brick-built chapel with a slate roof. Above the brick porch at the front an inscription reads “Wesleyan Centenary Chapel”.

The land required for the chapel was secured in March 1891 from Mrs. M. Mason of the Post Office and handed over to Mr. Charles Norgrove and the trustees. The chapel was built on a plot of land adjacent to the Post Office, which is still open today. Mrs. Mason also performed the opening ceremony and organised the Sunday School. Each Christmas there would be a Christmas tree and gifts for the children, and in the summer a local farmer would lend a horse and dray to take the children to Bircher Common for a picnic.

By 1931 there was a Sunday evening service and a service every third Thursday. During 1944 there were 11 members but this had dropped to four by 1954. Later the Border Counties Commission Experiment recommend that the chapel amalgamate with the local Baptists. The chapel continued for a few more years before finally closing in 1971.

Methodist Church Buildings: Statistical Returns July 1st 1940. Circuit 212 Leominster. Seating for 60.

 

 

No Comments

Start the ball rolling by posting a comment on this page!

Add a comment about this page

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Share this
Share on FacebookTweet about this on TwitterPin on PinterestShare on Google+Email this to someone