Risbury

Humber

30th June 1991 | Dave Hill
30th June 1991
Dave Hill
17th October 2010 | Dave Hill
17th October 2010
Dave Hill

Humber: Risbury Methodist Chapel SMR no. (awaiting entry into database), OS grid ref: SO 551 550

The Methodist Chapel at Risbury was the only place of worship within the village as the parish church is a few miles away at Humber.

This chapel is one of the largest in the circuit, seating 90, and was built towards the end of the 19th century by John Riley who lived at Great Marston Farm. Before this chapel was built services had been held in a room at the farmhouse.

As the numbers in attendance at Marston Farm grew, land was found on which to build the chapel and a stable block. The chapel had a Sunday School that met at 10.00am, before the service at 11.00am. There was also an evening service at 6.30pm and a weeknight service every Thursday evening.

The chapel was registered for burials and marriages. From 1966 to 1972 the chapel was virtually closed, but then the vicar at Humber requested the use of the chapel for occasional services and the trustees were only too happy to oblige. In 1974 the chapel was re-decorated and electric heating installed. Quarterly services continued to be held well into the 1980s.  In later years the Chapel was used jointly with the Church of England but was finally closed c2014.

    (Information taken from Fred BluckMethodism in the Marches)

 

Methodist Church Buildings: Statistical Returns July 1st 1940. Circuit 212 Leominster.

 

 

No Comments

Start the ball rolling by posting a comment on this page!

Add a comment about this page

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Share this
Share on FacebookTweet about this on TwitterPin on PinterestShare on Google+Email this to someone