Sutterton Wesleyan Methodist Chapel, Lincolnshire

D Secker
D Secker

The first Wesleyan chapel, seating 100, opened in 1845 on Spalding Road. An early photograph shows a structure with a pedimented front elevation of three bays, a central door and two flat–headed windows to either side. It was from here that Reformers seceded in 1854.
Not until 1910 was it licensed for marriages. It closed in 1927 and thereafter used for commercial purposes. Reported to be derelict by 2010. A new-build residence called The Old Chapel now stands on the site.
Foundation stones for the second (extant) building were laid in July 1927, the first laid by Mr & Mrs Andrew Stell, members for some 60 years. Superintendent of the Spalding Circuit John Barton presided. Land for the site (on Station Road) was gifted by Mr J Robinson, and Samuel Favell of Kirton End constructed the building to a design by architect William Webster. The seating capacity was recorded as 100.
Opening services took place in the December when Mrs W Dennis ceremonially unlocked the door, and chairman of the Lincoln District, Rev J Edwin Dixon, dedicated the building. The cost, in the region of £1,500, was defrayed mainly by donations, and the sale of the old chapel for £130.
The design is in the Arts & Crafts style. There is a folding partition (original) enabling the two main areas to be become one. A pedimented stone above the front porch reads: Wesleyan Methodist Church 1927.
At the time of opening it was in the Spalding Wesleyan Circuit, and then Spalding Methodist after union. It is now a member of the South Holland Circuit and is open for regular services and events.

Sources include
Wesleyan Returns of Accommodation 1873
Lincolnshire Standard 10th December 1927
Methodist Church Buildings: Statistical Returns 1940

No Comments

Start the ball rolling by posting a comment on this page!

Add a comment about this page

Your email address will not be published.