Thanks to Hugh Nott for information about the former Wesleyan Methodist chapel in Tealby and its predecessor.. The chapel which in time became Tealby Methodist chapel dates from 1819. It is a grade 2 Listed Building, described in its listing as:
Coursed (front only) ironstone rubble with brick quoins and brick decorated eaves. Hipped pantile roof. 2 storey, two bay front. Two doors with pointed heads, pointed traceried overlights, plain moulded doorcases and eight panel doors. Two windows above with plaster surround, segmental heads and glazing bar sashes.
The last service was held in 1994. The Chapel became a graphic art studio and then was converted by Aydon Aspin into a dwelling in 2018, known as The Old Chapel.
It was sold in September 2020.
The previous Wesleyan chapel: sited at Polperro 7 Caistor Lane
John Wesley visited Tealby three times (in 1747, 1772 and 1774). In 1774 he wrote in his diary that “he preached near the church”. In 1780 Thomas Broadgate (bricklayer) signed an agreement with Michael Grasham and 8 other trustees to let the newly erected “Preaching House” on 96 square yards for a peppercorn rent. The building had to be used only for the teachings of John Wesley. In 1780 a “Dissenters Certificate” was issued for “a house built by subscription called Independent. The list of subscribers included Michael Grasham, Thomas Clark and 4 others. Heading the list of members of the “Tealby Society” (i.e. the Methodists) in 1784 was Thomas Broadgate – a masoner from Tealby. So it is highly likely that John Wesley visited the house of Thomas Broadgate. Thomas married Anne Richardson in Owersby in 1771. They had 7 children – David (1772), Samuel (1774), Mary (1781), Mary (1782), John (1783), Thomas (1785) and William (1786). David died while he was a baby.
On the 1795 Enclosure Award plan there are two buildings shown on Thomas Broadgate’s plot 254, which included the land now occupied by Pollperro. The plan shows one building alongside the highway and in front of the present house. The holding was described as a homestead and meetinghouse. The left hand building is Hillside Cottage and the right hand building is the meeting house. Thomas also had an allotment of land behind the house, some land in “West Close” and 2 cottages on the site of 11 Sandy Lane.
In about 1817 the “Ould Methodist Chapel” was in disrepair. It was 36′ long and 22’wide. According to Francis Lingard (a blacksmith and wheelwright) “this building is worth mor (sic) to stand than pull down. It wants all thatching-roundstraw, buying and thatching would cost about £10 and the walls is all built of clay”. Built of clay meant that it was a mud and stud building. He estimated that it would cost £34 to repair the timbers and stonework. The estimate included 3 beams of 66 foot of 9″ x 6″. These would each have been cut into three so that the beams would be at 6′ centres. Christopher Dinsdale and the other trustees sold the building “lately used as the Methodist Chapel” to George Tennyson on 13th April 1820 for £40. Presumably the trustees thought it was better to build the new Chapel in what is now called Front Street, and sell the old Chapel.