Pinchbeck West Wesleyan Chapel, Lincolnshire

D Secker

Now usually called West Pinchbeck.

A Wesleyan chapel, built in 1829, was replaced in 1847 by a larger building. This in turn was replaced in 1881 with the structure (no longer a chapel) that still stands on Six House Bank. It had seating for 90.

Closed 1918 and sold by auction in 1920 to a farmer for £210. A press report called the sale a “humiliation”, but the trustees declared that “the inhabitants have no further need of the spiritual food as passed on by the Wesleyan Methodist Church”.

Since closure it has had a chequered history including use as a chicken house, two dwelling houses, then one dwelling called Chapel House. In the late 1950s it was acquired by the local Toc H and revamped as a hall. After many years as a general community resource it was sold and converted back into a single dwelling. It retains the name adopted for it by Toc H: The Poacher’s Den.

Although the fenestration is not original, the attractive dog-tooth brickwork in the gable ends and eaves probably is.

No Comments

Start the ball rolling by posting a comment on this page!

Add a comment about this page

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *