Castle Bytham Wesleyan Methodist Chapel, Lincolnshire
The history of Wesleyan chapel(s) at Castle Bytham is unclear and full elucidation is stalled until it becomes possible to consult the sources.
In 1851 there was a chapel which had been built in 1833 and provided 120 free and 96 other sittings. From 1873 to 1891 it was reported that a rented building seating between 144 and 209 was in use. The foundation stones indicate that building work was being undertaken in 1899. This development is reflected in the fact that from 1901 a Methodist owned building seating 150 was being used. OS maps reflect this change. Although the same site was on the south side if the village street was occupied throughout the building on the map of 1887/8 had a smaller and rather different footprint from the building shown in 1903/4 (grid ref SK987184). In 1941 it was reported to seat 184 and there were three school halls and two other rooms. The chapel subsequently closed and the building is now in residential use.
The National Archives,1851 ecclesiastical census HO129/422 (Bourne Union)
John Rylands Library University of Manchester, MAC Lawson Returns of Accommodation provided by Wesleyan Methodist Chapels and other Preaching Places, Stamford Circuit 1873/501, 1881/567, 1891/614, 1901/627, 1911/592, 1931/599
John Rylands Library University of Manchester, MAC Lawson, Methodist Church Buildings: Statistical returns including seating accommodation as at July 1st 1940 No 696 (Stamford Circuit)
25 inch OS maps Lincolnshire CXXXIX 11, 1887/8 and 1903/4
Site visit, 21.8.2020