Freiston Ings Wesleyan Methodist Chapel, Lincolnshire

Photo: D Secker January 2024
Photo: D Secker January 2024
Datestone: Wesleyan Chapel 1865
Photo: D Secker January 2024

This hamlet of scattered dwellings is situated off the beaten track east of Boston.

The tiny Wesleyan chapel opened in 1865. Brick-built, and with sittings for around 70, it was well supported and had a successful Sunday School in its heyday.

Circuits: Boston Wesleyan: and Boston (Centenary) Methodist post union.

Although still going strong into the 1950s, a gradual fall in members and attendances by 1960 forced its closure in 1962.

The building appears to be used as a store. The windows are bricked up, and there is now a corrugated roof in place of tiles. The weathered datestone is still there on the front gable end.

If nothing else, the building is a reminder that even the smallest of these chapels played a huge part in the social life of remote communities in a bygone age.


Sources include
Wesleyan Returns of Accommodation 1873

No Comments

Start the ball rolling by posting a comment on this page!

Add a comment about this page

Your email address will not be published.