Fishtoft Wesleyan Methodist Chapel, Lincolnshire

Photo: D Secker

Standing at the junction of Scalp Road and Gaysfield Road, this former chapel was erected in 1867. It replaced a smaller building of 1842 which seated 80.

The opening took place in November 1867 when the builders, Lee & Son of Freiston, were commended for their work, and for the design by John Lee Jnr “whose true architectural taste and ability are admired throughout the Boston circuit”. They built several Wesleyan chapels in Lincolnshire.

Seating was provided for up to 116. There is no record of a separate Sunday schoolroom.
Circuits: Boston Wesleyan: and Boston (Centenary) Methodist post union.

Closed circa 2008. It has been converted into an attractive dwelling which retains its round-arched windows. The building appears to have been extended by two bays lengthwise. Within the pedimented front gable is the datestone: Wesleyan Chapel 1867.


Sources include
Census of Religious Worship 1851 (Lincs) Ed. RW Ambler 1979
Stamford Mercury 22nd November 1867
Wesleyan Returns of Accommodation 1873

No Comments

Start the ball rolling by posting a comment on this page!

Add a comment about this page

Your email address will not be published.