Alford, West Street LN13 9DU

Alford, West Street
Wesleyan Chapel Committee, 1865
Alford, Lincolnshire
Keith Guyler, 1993

This Wesleyan Methodist Chapel and Sunday School was designed in 1864, by William Botterill of Hull. It was built of Yellow Farlesthorpe brick with ashlar dressings, banded blue and green slate roofs, and opened on Good Friday 14th April 1865. The chapel was built to seat 650.

When listed, in 1985, it contained contemporary pews and fittings.

The chapel is now a furniture store, and the Sunday School has become the church. It is still open for worship. The photograph shows the chapel in 1993.

Grid reference: TF447457

Reference: The eleventh annual report of the Wesleyan Chapel Committee, 1865 page 109

Comments about this page

  • Lincolnshire Archives :
    Wesleyan, Alford.
    ref. Meth/B/Alford/W/H and W/A/1/2, baptisms, 1837-1889, one burial 1845. Preachers plans.

    Wesleyan, ref. Meth/B/Alford, preaching plans, 1819-1930s, then to 1940.

    ref. Meth/C//Alford, West Street, Wesleyan Chapel. Wesleyan Society formed in 1780, first Chapel built on Chapel Street, Alford in 1819, closed with opening of West Street Chapel in 1865.

    ref. ML187639, former Wesleyan Chapel, Chapel St., Alford. It when closed became a Masonic Hall. It had when Wesleyan an associated preacher’s house and Sunday School.

    Other documents.
    ………………………………..
    Out of county, Leicestershire Record Office :
    ref. 6 D72/244, a Wesleyan Circuit plan, April to July, 1876, Alford, Lincolnshire, amongst the Timms family papers of Odstone, Leicestershire.

    The National Archives ( former Public Record Office ) :
    ref. RG 4/1927, Alford, Linc’s , births/marriages/deaths, 1837-1857, civil registration of Wesleyans. ( These early civil registers at this repository ).

    By Raymond E. O. Ælla (14/11/2021)

Add a comment about this page

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *