Whaplode Wesleyan Methodist Chapel, Lincolnshire

Photo: D Secker

Wesleyan meetings were held in a house as early as 1759, although a Society was not formed until c.1813. Preaching services were taking place by 1819 when it was on the Spalding Circuit plan.

Built on Turnpike Side (now Main Road), the chapel was opened on 28th November 1838 by the Rev Robert Newton (future President of the Wesleyan Conference). It had seating for around 130.

Major renovation in 1912 included removal of the old “square-headed windows”, and replacing them with “Gothic-headed windows with Japanese glass at the sides and leaded lights at the front”. The porch was rebuilt with a gabled roof, and a vestry (20x12ft) erected at the rear of the building.

Also constructed was a “generating house for acetylene gas” – gas lamps lit the building at the time – and a “copper house”. It was not until 1982 that a kitchen was added.
After union it used the title of Whaplode West Methodist – the ex-United Methodist became Whaplode East until its closure in 1938 when the two congregations amalgamated.

Circuit membership: Spalding Wesleyan; Holbeach Wesleyan from 1874; Holbeach Methodist after union; and finally South Holland.

Falling membership and attendances led to the chapel’s closure circa 2014, following which It was sold and converted for residential use.

The datestone is on the front elevation: Wesleyan Methodist Church 1838.


Sources include:
Wesleyan Returns of Accommodation 1873
Methodist Church Buildings: Statistical Returns 1940

No Comments

Start the ball rolling by posting a comment on this page!

Add a comment about this page

Your email address will not be published.