Metheringham Wesleyan Methodist Chapel

Michael Credland

Comments about this page

  • Lincolnshire Archives :
    ref. ML182589, Sots Hole, Metheringham Fen Chapel ( Wesleyan Reform Union ), opened in 1863, closed c.1972-4.

    By R. E. O. Ællą (16/11/2021)
  • A previous Wesleyan Chapel also was [?] built further down High Street in 1840, closed c.1905-7 and designated much later to have become a store/shop.

    Lincolnshire Archives :
    ref. ML182604, Chapel and Peoples Hall, Middle St., ( Wesleyan Reform ), Metheringham, opened 1853, frequented by Wesleyans until closure in 1922.

    By Raymond E. O. Ælla (16/11/2021)
  • At Metheringham Fen about 5 miles from the village, there was another Wesleyan Chapel, first built in 1835; newer one in 1887, closed c.1969, a bungalow then built on the site.
    The area at Metheringham Fen is named “Tanvats”.
    Many rural chapels were built for the farming community to be in walking distance and by horsemounted or cart.
    Also, take the faith to the people, wherever they may be.

    Lincolnshire Archives :
    ref. Meth/C/Tanvats/E/2/1, building materials account book, year 1887.
    ref. Meth/C/Tanvats/D/3/1, Certificate, registration for solomnization of marriages, 1887/9.
    ref. Meth/C/Tavats/G/3/1, collection journal, 1922-1931.
    Possibly other documents.

    By Raymond E. 0. Ælla (16/11/2021)

Add a comment about this page

Your email address will not be published.