Grainsby Wesleyan Methodist Chapel, Lincolnshire

Photo: D Secker
Photo: D Secker

The well-heeled of this tranquil place built the chapel here in 1860. Mrs Sands (lady of the manor) and Francis Burnham Esq provided funds for this small edifice on Grainsby Lane.

On the stone arch of the doorway is an inscription: Wesleyan Chapel 1860. The windows either side of the door also have round-headed stone arches. These, and the four brick pilasters on the front elevation, give the structure its elegant appearance.

It had seating for just 60 persons. There was an active Sunday school but no separate room for such.

Originally, the chapel was in the Grimsby (George Street) Wesleyan Circuit in the Hull District. Following union in 1932, this changed to Grimsby (George Street) Methodist Circuit in the Lincoln & Grimsby District.

The year of closure has not been ascertained, but services were still being held in the 1960s. For a while, it was used as a farm store until conversion into a dwelling.


Sources include
Wesleyan Returns of Accommodation 1873
Kelly’s Directory of Lincolnshire 1885
Methodist Church Buildings Statistical Returns 1940

No Comments

Start the ball rolling by posting a comment on this page!

Add a comment about this page

Your email address will not be published.