Market Deeping, High Street Wesleyan Methodist Chapel, Lincolnshire
Market Deeping Wesleyan Methodist Chapel was built in 1842. In 1851 it had 50 free and seventy other sitttings. In 1873 the chapel seated 214 but this had fallen to 120 by 1940. Does this fluctuation indicate the insertion of a gallery between 1851 and 1873 which had become disused by 1940?
In 1940 the chapel seated 120 in pews and there was also a school hall and one other room. The building was subsequently closed and is now being used as a post office.
Although the structure of the building has survived intact it has been much altered what remains suggests that it was quite an impressive building in its prime. The most notable original features, are the ornaments placed at intervals on the front gable and the long window in the sides of the building.
John Rylands Library University of Manchester, MAC Lawson Returns of Accommodation provided by Wesleyan Methodist Chapels and other Preaching Places, 1873/527
The National Archives HO129/422/4/7 1851 ecclesiastical census.
Methodist Church Buildings: Statistical returns including seating accommodation as at July 1st 1940, No 698
Site visit 27.12.2019