Reepham is a few miles from Lincoln and in an area that was once a Wesleyan stronghold.
A chapel, built on High Street and described as a square box, opened here on Sunday 3rd October 1841. It had seats for 110. Concerning its opening, the vicar described the Wesleyans as “unaccredited dispensers of the word of life”. On the building of the new chapel, the old was utilised as a reading room until its revamp in 1949 for various parish recreations. It has since been demolished.
The present chapel, also on High Street, is of red brick with stone dressings, and in the Gothic style. Contemporary with the building is an attached Sunday school at the rear.
Stones were laid in October 1893 and the opening dedication took place on Wednesday 21st March 1894. Architects were Mortimer & Son of Lincoln, and the builders were Lansdown & Son, also of that city. Originally, there were sittings for 150 plus. Interestingly, the vicar at this time lent his support.
Today, internal alterations include chairs replacing pews and the pulpit removed, although a portion has been retained as a pulpit/lectern. Worshippers now face south (toward the road), the sloping floor having been levelled – it had enabled an unimpeded view for those seated at the back (now the front). The former Sunday school has become a general hall with modern kitchen and toilet facilities.
Circuits: Lincoln (Wesley) Wesleyan; Lincoln (Wesley) Methodist; and Lincoln Methodist.
The chapel is open for worship and community activities.
Sources include Stamford Mercury 8th October 1841.