Before the current Wellington Methodist chapel, Wellington had a succession of Wesleyan Methodist Chapels. The first (probably) was licensed in April 1797), sold in 1836 and taken down by 1851.
The second was in Chapel Lane and had been built in 1820.
The third Wellington Wesleyan Methodist Chapel, at the corner of High Street and St. John Street, was opened on 1st April 1836 and seated 520 worshippers. In 1862 they amalgamated the Sunday School into the chapel, thereby increasing the capacity by 150 sittings (mostly free, for the poor), and built a new Sunday School.
In its turn this new chapel was replaced in 1883 by a fourth new chapel built farther west along New Street. The 1836 chapel was retained by the Wesleyan Methodists and used as a Sunday school and lecture hall until the building was sold in 1916.
The chapel had a seating capacity for 900 worshippers and was built at a cost of £4000 for the site, the building and the conversion of the old chapel into a school. The chapel closed & was due to be demolished on 1 September 2003.
Grid ref: 1836 chapel SJ 653114
Grid ref: 1883 chapel SJ 652114