Newport Wesleyan Methodist chapels
The first Newport Wesleyan Methodist Chapel was built in 1829-30 in Upper Bar. It served until 1876, by which time it had become “old, decayed and not at all equal to the requirements of the town”. The old chapel, of which the upper storey is still recognisable as a chapel, is now occupied by a tattoo parlour with much converted into flats.
The second Wesleyan Methodist Chapel, built in 1876-7, was in Avenue Road, Newport . It has now closed and was sold in 2001. By c. 2006 it was being used as a gymnasium. The Methodist congregation has joined with the United Reformed Church in Wellington Road and they meet in the Trinity Church.
60 Upper Bar, Newport TF10 7EJ (first chapel)
Grid ref: SJ 747188 Avenue Road, Newport (second chapel)