Market Drayton Wesleyan Methodist chapel

Market Drayton Wesleyan Methodist chapel

The original Market Drayton Wesleyan Methodist chapel was built in 1808 in Shropshire Street, with a new gallery added in 1842. costing £50.

The chapel was replaced by a Gothic chapel in 1864. The building lasted just over 100 years before damage in a violent storm led to its replacement in 1975.

You can read more about the chapel on the current Methodist church website and on  Janice Cox’s Shropshire’s Non-Conformist chapels here.

Grid ref: SJ 671339  Shrewsbury Road, Market Drayton, Shropshire, TF9 3DL

Comments about this page

  • WESLEYAN METHODIST MAGAZINE, 1842, page 1038.
    RELIGIOUS INTELLIGENCE. “METHODISM IN WHITCHURCH”.
    We have also raised, and expended in the erection of a new gallery, in our chapel at Market-Drayton, upwards of £50.”
    ———————————
    EDDOWES’S JOURNAL, 13 July 1864, page 4.
    “TO BUILDERS AND CONTRACTORS. TENDERS are required for the ERECTION OF A NEW WESLEYAN CHAPEL at MARKET DRAYTON. Plans and Specifications to be seen on and after Thursday next, July 14th, at Mr. G. Eaton’s, High Street, Market Drayton, to whom sealed tenders are to be forwarded … “.
    ———————————-
    WELLINGTON JOURNAL, Saturday 27 August 1864, page 3.
    MARKET DRAYTON.
    “LAYING THE FOUNDATION STONE OF THE NEW WESLEYAN CHAPEL.
    On Thursday afternoon last the corner stone and three other memorial stones of a new Wesleyan chapel, the erection of which is commenced on a site near the Shrewsbury Road, were laid by J. Vernon, Esq., of Liverpool, J. Corderoy, Esq., of London, T. Haslehurst, Esq., of Runcorn, and J. Lewis, Esq., of Market Drayton. The new chapel is situated mid-way between the two townships of Drayton Parva [.e. Little Drayton] and Drayton Magna [i.e. Market Drayton] … The plan is a parallelogram, 68 feet long by 38 feet wide, divided by side aisles into three bays of pews, affording accommodation for 360 worshippers. At the north end will be the communion rail, and a platform … On the western side space will be reserved for the organ and choir. At present no galleries are proposed but arrangement are made in the plan for the addition of an end gallery. At the rear of the chapel will be a lecture room, 25ft by 15ft. The style is geometric Gothic. The south elevation consists of a central gable, with central three-light tracery-headed window over the principal entrance, which latter will be recessed with shafts and carved capitals. From the south-east corner will spring a spirette about 60ft. high. The east and west sides will be divided by buttresses into bays, and lighted by eight double grouped cusped headed windows. The roof will be slated, and the masonry in brick, with stone facings. Internally the timber work will be stained and varnished. The contract has been taken at £1,045 by Mr. Tranter, of St. George’s, and the designs and specifications furnished by Mr. Bidlake, of Wolverhampton, under whose superintendence the work will be carried on. The proceedings in connection with the laying of the stones commenced shortly after two c’clock. A procession … was formed from the Market-place to the site … the Rev. R. Stepney, the superintendent of the circuit, gave out a hymn. The Rev. J. Harris then read the 24th Psalm … after which prayer was offered by Mr. Stepney. Mr. Harper then stated what documents were enclosed in the stone, the principal one being a parchment, upon which were statistics connected with the body in Market Drayton and in Great Britain. The Rev. Mr. Stepney then presented … a silver trowel to J. Vernon, Esq. …John Corderoy, Exq., of London, after being presented by Mr. Harper with a silver trowel, then laid the first [sic] memorial stone …Mr. George Eaton then presented a silver trowel to R. Hazlehurst, Rsq., who laid the 3rd. stone … J. Lewis, Esq., of Market Drayton, after receiving a silver trowel from the hands of the resident minister, the Rev. John Harris, laid the fourth and last memorial stone … and this part of the proceedings terminated. A public tea meeting was afterwards held … at which between six and seven hundred were present … The donations of the day … £76 11s. … .”
    ——————————–
    LONDON GAZETTE, 13 April 1866, page 2397.
    “A building named the Wesleyan Methodist Church … in the parish of Drayton-in-Hales [i.e. MarKet Drayton], … was registered for solemnising marriages … being substituted for the Old Wesleyan Methodist chapel … now disused … 6th day of April, 1866.”
    ———————————–

    By Janice Cox (01/12/2020)

Add a comment about this page

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *