Ludlow Wesleyan Methodist Chapel

Ludlow Wesleyan Methodist Chapel

The 1878-9 Wesleyan Methodist Chapel in Broad Street, Ludlow was built to replace a former chapel of 1800 in Lower Broad Street which is now a private house..  The 1879 was a large and imposing building, with galleries on three sides. It seated 700 people & cost £5,000 to build.

An attached Sunday school was added in 1897 to celebrate Queen Victoria’s diamond jubilee. The chapel is still in use by the Methodists in 2020 & has been joined by the congregation formerly meeting at the former  Zion Primitive Chapel, New Road, Ludlow.

Grid ref:  1879 chapel SO 511745

You can see pictures and read more about these chapel’s on Janice Cox’s Shropshire’s Non-conformist Chapels website here and here.

Comments about this page

  • WESLEYAN METHODIST MAGAZINE, 1836, page 142.
    “LUDLOW. The Wesleyan chapel at Ludlow, after being considerably enlarged and improved was re-opened, on Wednesday, December 2nd. [1835]; when the Rev. Theophilus Lessey preached two eloquent and impressive sermons. On the following Sabbath three excellent sermons were delivered by the Rev. John Rigg … The friends here have exerted themselves nobly. The subscriptions amount to upwards of £100; and the collections, after the sermons, to £34 16s. Although the chapel is made almost twice as large as it was, there are very few sittings to let. Our prospects, in some parts of the Circuit, are brightening. A friend has promised to give ground, and £20, towards building a small chapel at Orleton, in this Circuit.”
    ————————————
    “EDDOWES’S JOURNAL, 17 July 1878, page 9.
    “A NEW WESLEYAN CHAPEL. On Thursday afternoon the interesting ceremony of laying the foundation stones of the new Wesleyan Chapel, in Broad Street, took place … The chapel is being built on the site of the building formerly known as the Crown Hotel, and famous in the old coaching days as a coaching house. Last year the owner of this spacious mansion, wishing to restore it to its former position as an hotel, applied for a licence for it … the magistrates did not grant the license. The Wesleyans seeing the eligibility of the site in one of the finest streets of the town energetically looked into their matters, and the result was they bought the building, which has been pulled down, and now the foundation stones of a chapel have been laid. At half-past two the company assembled … The first stone should have been laid by S. Jevons, Esq., of Birmingham, but he being unable to attend … the Rev. T. H. Penrith officiated for him. A handsome book was shown, which was to be presented to Mr. Jevons, and it was announced that £50 was laid upon the stone towards the building fund by Mr. Jevons. The second stone was laid by Mrs. T. Morris, who had a silver trowel presented to her … [she] gave a donation of £50 … under the first stone a bottle was placed, which contained newspapers of the day and a plan of the Wesleyan circuit. Other stones were laid … [long list of names given] The Rev. T. M. Albrighton made an excellent address, earnest, yet lively, and to the purpose. A tea meeting was held in the Assembly Rooms, and a public meeting in the same place after this interesting ceremony had concluded. The new chapel, which is to cost about £2,000, will be a brick front, with Bath stone dressings, in the Italian style of architecture, mixed with the Classic.”
    —————————————-

    By Janice Cox (27/11/2020)

Add a comment about this page

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *