Bishop's Castle Wesleyan Methodist chapel

Bishop's Castle Wesleyan Methodist chapel

Bishop’s Castle Wesleyan Methodist chapel was built in 1866. The chapel, on High Street, still exists bit with a very much altered front.

Comments about this page

  • WELLINGTON JOURNAL, Saturday 18 August 1866, page 5.
    “BISHOP’S CASTLE.
    On Wednesday, August 8th, the foundation stone of a Wesleyan Methodist Chapel was laid in this town, by Mr. Norton, of Hefron … A procession was formed at the Town-hall, which moved in due order to the site, a most eligible one, adjoining the premises of the North and South Wales Bank, and fronting Church street. After singing and prayer, and the reading of an appropriate passage of scripture, a mallet and silver trowel were presented to Mr Norton, who, in a most expeditious and workmanlike manner, placed the stone in its proper position, and pronounced it to be duly and truly laid. A bottle was then placed in the stone, containing copies of several newspspers; also a list of the names of the trustees, and the circuit ministers and stewards, with a plan of the Knighton circuit, and a programme of the day’s proceedings … The day was regarded throughout the neighbourhood as one of great interest, Bishop’s Castle being one of the few towns in England in which Wesleyan Methodist has not been established. Several previous attempts to procure a chapel have failed. Services have been reglarly held in the town during the last eight years without intermission, though the place of worship has been often changed, and always comparatively incommodious … Great difficulty was for some time experienced in the endeavours to obtain a suitable site for a chapel. The present excellent one was at length purchased by Mr. Griffiths, of Clunbury, who, with his usual liberality, presented it for the purpose. The building, which is to be of red brick, with Bath stone facings, and in the Italian style, is from costly and elaborate designs gratuitously furnished by Thos. Roberts, Esq., of Trentham, architect and surveyor to the Duke of Sutherland. A model of the chapel, exhibited during the day, excited general admiration … The building, which is being executed by Mr. Pugh, of Bishop’s Castle, was commenced the next morning … There is a good prospect of having it ocompleted, and the greater part of the cost (¬£400) defrayed within four months.”

    By Janice Cox (19/11/2020)

Add a comment about this page

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *