Aston Munslow  Wesleyan Methodist chapel

Aston Munslow  Wesleyan Methodist chapel

Aston Munslow  Wesleyan Methodist chapel was built in 1862.

The 1883 Ordnance Survey map shows a Wesleyan Methodist chapel in the north west of the village at SO 51167 86748. Current Ordnance Survey maps still identify it as a place of worship and give the name Chapel Cottage, although Street View is not brave enough to go there.

What’s the correct picture?

Comments about this page

  • SHREWSBURY CHRONICLE, 7 February 1862, page 4.
    “TO BUILDERS. Persons desirous of CONTRACTING for the New Wesleyan Chapel, Munslow Aston, can see the Plan and Specifications of the same by applying to William Hince, Munslow Aston. The Estimate to be sent in on or before the 24th instant.”
    ————————————-

    SHREWSBURY CHRONICLE, 23 November 1862, page 5.
    “MUNSLOW ASTON.
    OPENING OF A NEW WESLEYAN CHAPEL. On the 16th inst., three able sermons were delivered on the occasion of opening the above place of worship, by the Rev. H. Sharp, Wesleyan minister of Ludlow, and on Sunday last, the 23rd inst., three eloquent and impressive discourses were delivered by the Rev. J. Jackson Wray, Wesleyan minister of Crewe … Collections were made at the close of each service, amounting to upwards of £18. The above locality has been for the last seventy years regularly visited by Wesleyan Methodist ministers, and a society has been in existence from the commencement. Hitherto services have been held at a farmhouse in the village, capable of accommodating seventy persons … but the want of a more suitable building has long been felt. About twelve months since, upon a representation of the necessity for a chapel in the neighbourhood being made, Mr. Thomas Evans, of Cardington, kindly placed at the disposal of the Wesleyan friends a suitable piece of land for that purpose. In the month of May, after completing arrangements with Messrs. Price, builders, of Ironbridge, the foundation stone was laid in the presence of a few friends by Mr. Enoch Wall. The style of architecture adopted is the gothic, from plans prepared by Mr. Thomas Pugh, Hungerford, Corvedale, and built of native stone with grinsill facings. The interior is fitted with seats of stained wood varnished, with sittings for 120 persons, with two beautiful and chaste glass candelabras in the centre for lights. The windows are of stained glass, the ventilation is excellent, and the chapel is heated by means of a stove underneath the floor, altogether presenting a most beautiful appearance, an ornament to the village. The cost of erection is estimated at £300 … promised subscriptions and collections at the opening services, will leave but a small amount of debt upon the building, a circumstance highly creditable to the friends in the neighbourhood …”.

    By Janice Cox (18/11/2020)

Add a comment about this page

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *