Bow Road Wesleyan Methodist Church was founded by the Reverend Alexander McAulay, who began preaching from his home in 1861. The church was built to look like a Roman temple by W. W. Pocock, was opened in 1865. It suffered bomb damage in 1940, and was subsequently rebuilt in 1951. The new church is still open for worship.
The 1865 chapel was built to seat 1000, but at the time it was destroyed it could seat 800.
William Wilmer Pocock, FRIBA (1813-1899) was from a family closely associated with Wesley’s Chapel, where he is commemorated by a stained galss window.
Grid Ref: TQ368827
Reference: The twelfth annual report of the Wesleyan Chapel Committee, 1866 page 108
Returns of accommodation … 1873. London: Wesleyan Conference Office, 1875
Statistical returns … as at July 1st 1940. Manchester: Methodist Church, Department of Chapel Affairs, 1947
“Pocock family of London,” in A Dictionary of Methodism in Britain and Ireland, accessed December 19 2019, https://dmbi.online/index.php?do=app.entry&id=2198