This chapel was on the north side of Lower Clapton Road, north of the corner of Downs Road. It was built of ragstone with stone dressings in the Decorated style, and designed in 1863-1865 by John Tarring, FRIBA (1806-1875) a London architect who designed many Gothic Revival churches for Nonconformist clients. The chapel cost £5,500.
Built to seat 1000, attendance in 1886 was 372 a.m. and 325 in the evening. Similar figures were recorded in 1903: 326 a.m., 328 evening.
The chapel closed in 1934 and was later demolished, being replaced by a lecture hall (later school) in Downs Road, which was then remodelled as a church.
Grid Ref: TQ349859
Reference: The twelfth annual report of the Wesleyan Chapel Committee, 1866 page 107
Returns of accommodation … 1873. London: Wesleyan Conference Office, 1875
Statistical returns … as at July 1st 1940. Manchester: Methodist Church, Department of Chapel Affairs, 1947
“Hackney: Protestant Nonconformity,” in A History of the County of Middlesex: Volume 10, Hackney, ed. T F T Baker (London: Victoria County History, 1995), 130-144. British History Online, accessed December 19, 2019, http://www.british-history.ac.uk/vch/middx/vol10/pp130-144.