John Freeman is regarded as having founded the Methodist Society in East Finchley. He set up a meeting for prayer and fellowship in Lincoln Cottage at the corner of the High Road and Strawberry Vale in 1820. As the church grew it moved to King Street, East Finchley in 1829. According to the Religious Census returns of 1851 this provided 110 sittings and was attended on census Sunday 1851 by 45 in the morning, 52 in the afternoon, and 30 in the evening.
The chapel illustrated replaced the first chapel in King’s Street, and could seat 283. This in turn was replaced in 1897 by a red-brick chapel built in the Gothic style on the corner of High Road and Park Road with 650 sittings.
Grid Ref: TQ267899
Reference: The sixteenth annual report of the Wesleyan Chapel Committee, 1870 page 124
Returns of accommodation … 1873. London: Wesleyan Conference Office, 1875
A P Baggs, Diane K Bolton, M A Hicks and R B Pugh. “Finchley: Protestant nonconformity,” in A History of the County of Middlesex: Volume 6, Friern Barnet, Finchley, Hornsey With Highgate, ed. T F T Baker and C R Elrington (London: Victoria County History, 1980), 87-91. British History Online, accessed December 23, 2019, http://www.british-history.ac.uk/vch/middx/vol6/pp87-91.
East Finchley Methodist Church, accessed December 23, 2019, https://www.eastfinchleymethodist.org.uk/aboutus.htm