The building illustrated was designed by Alexander Lauder of Barnstaple (1836-1921), who also designed a number of other Wesleyan chapels in the South-West and London. It was built in 1872 on Queen Anne Road, Homerton, and could seat 1000.
In terms of attendance, it was the largest of the Hackney Wesleyan chapels with congregations in 1886 of 579 in the morning and 518 in the evening. These figures reduced to 395 and 373 in 1903. At the time of the 1940 Statistical Returns, it could seat 1040.
It was destroyed during the Second World War.
Grid Ref: TQ358846
Returns of accommodation … 1873. London: Wesleyan Conference Office, 1875
Statistical returns … as at July 1st 1940. Manchester: Methodist Church, Department of Chapel Affairs, 1947
“Hackney: Protestant Nonconformity,” in A History of the County of Middlesex: Volume 10, Hackney, ed. T F T Baker (London: Victoria County History, 1995), 130-144. British History Online, accessed December 19, 2019, http://www.british-history.ac.uk/vch/middx/vol10/pp130-144.