The foundation stones of this building were laid on June 23, 1868. The architect was John Tarring, FRIBA (1806-1875), who designed many Gothic Revival churches for Nonconformist clients, and the builders George Myers and Sons. The church is designed in the Decorated Gothic style and faced with Kentish ragstone. At the north-west corner there is a tower surmounted by an octagonal spire. The church was heavily damaged in the war of 1939–45, and was restored in 1954–5. It was subsequently demolished and replaced in the 1980s.
Built to seat 1060, at the time of the 1940 Statistical Returns, it could seat 810.
Grid Ref: TQ313765
Reference: The fifteenth annual report of the Wesleyan Chapel Committee, 1869 frontispiece.
Returns of accommodation … 1873. London: Wesleyan Conference Office, 1875
Statistical returns … as at July 1st 1940. Manchester: Methodist Church, Department of Chapel Affairs, 1947