This appears to be a drawing of the chapel erected on Salters Road, Gosforth to the designs of J.J. Lish in 1883.
This church was built in Salters Road, Gosforth, to the designs of J.J. Lish in 1884. Built to seat 750, at the time of the 1940 Statistical Returns, it could seat 628.
The congregation had previously met in the schoolroom behind this building, erected in 1877. The Builder described the church as being divided into nave, aisles and transepts, with a large apsidal chamber for organ. A large schoolroom, four class-rooms, a minister’s vestry and caretaker’s house were provided to the rear.
The Historic Environment Record states that the tower shown was never completed, and that the whole building was demolished in 1953.
Joseph James Lish (1841-1922) was a local architect, born in Beamish, who was a pioneer in the use of concrete for architectural purposes (though not on this scheme it would appear).
Grid Ref: NZ 242682
Reference: The Builder Vol. 45, 1883, p769
Statistical returns … as at July 1st 1940. Manchester: Methodist Church, Department of Chapel Affairs, 1947
Tyne and Wear HER(14625): Gosforth, Salters Road, Wesleyan Methodist Church, accessed December 14, 2020, https://sitelines.newcastle.gov.uk/SMR/14625