Many areas of industrial Gateshead were given new names by the factory owners so over the mid 19th century places such as New Woolwich and New Greenwich appeared on maps.
New Greenwich, although a small area, had two Wesleyan chapels and a United Methodist Free chapel. That at Blackwall was begun on 25 January 1860 by James Turnbull from the High West Street, Gateshead chapel. The Blackwall site was within a boatyard and papermill on the banks of the River Tyne on what is now South Shore Road. Records are sparse and it appears to have closed within 9 months.