In 1862, a decision was made by the Newcastle WM Circuit to acquire land on Clarence Street, Shieldfield, on which to build a new church and school. The school buildings were officially opened in 1863 and a Wesleyan Day School started in 1867. The new chapel was opened on 9 October 1865 and was known, at that time, as Clarence Street Wesleyan Methodist Church. In 1900, it was decided that the church could best tackle the spiritual needs of the east end of the city by becoming part of the Newcastle upon Tyne Mission and the church was renamed, the East End Mission. In 1902, the premises were extended to provide a social hall.
In 1969, the church was acquired by Newcastle City Council as part of their redevelopment of the Shieldfield area and was subsequently demolished. Whilst plans were being drawn up for a new church, the congregation met in the Martin Luther Kirche.
On 25 August 1973, the new Shieldfield Methodist Church opened and remained open until October 2006. It is now the home of the “Holy Biscuit” Art Gallery