Before Blucher Chapel was built services were held in one of the pit houses in the village – 1 Simpson Terrace. This was provided by Sir William Stephenson. The first minister was Rev William Keating.
The Circuit Meeting Minutes of 1905 reveal that the the original scheme was to build a chapel to cost between £500 and £600 but Sir William intervened and expressed the opinion that the scheme was inadequate to serve the developing needs of the district. He proposed to build a church, school and other buildings at Blucher to cost £1,630 and he would pay £1,480 on condition that the members raised the £150 balance. The challenge was eagerly accepted!
The chapel was opened on 21 April 1906 and remains in use today as Blucher Methodist Church.
Foundation stones for a new church extension were laid in 2003 and the money was raised for it by donations from past and present church members and there is now a small downstairs room and an large upper room with stair lift and modern toilet facilities, as well as a large hall for functions.