Methodism in Barnard Castle dates to 1747 when a small group of men and women met each evening in a house in Galgate to read the Bible and works of Methodism founder John Wesley, and to sing hymns and pray.
The earliest Methodists met in the Hole-in-The-Wall meeting house, which ran from 1750 to 1765, and a photograph of this can be seen on the British Methodist Buildings website.
Broadgates Chapel, which was opened by John Wesley himself, was the main Wesleyan chapel in the town from 1765 to 1894, when it was replaced by the current church, Trinity. The 1873 Returns of accomodation reveal that it could seat 620.
National Grid Reference NZ052163