This church and school was designed by W.J. Morley and Son of Bradford. William James Morley (1846-1930) was a prominent Wesleyan architect of the late Victorian and Edwardian eras, whose work included the Albert Hall, Manchester, and Manchester Central Hall. He was also a prominent lay Wesleyan Methodist, and has an entry in the Methodist Who’s Who of 1912.
The church opened in October 1904 and was built in the Decorated style. It was built to seat 660, 358 on the ground floor, and 280 in the gallery. From the start it possessed central heating and was lit by electricity.
At the time of the 1940 Statistical Returns, it could seat 675. It is still in use as a Methodist church.
Grid Ref: NZ439183
Reference: The Building News 87, 1904 pp 536-537
Statistical returns … as at July 1st 1940. Manchester: Methodist Church, Department of Chapel Affairs, 1947