This chapel was designed by John Smith of Shotley Bridge, who also designed the chapel in Shotley Bridge in 1855. It was opened on 24 October 1876 by Rev. Thomas McCullagh of Liverpool.
It was built to seat 320, ” allowing for the usual space of 2 ft 10 in by 1 ft 8 in per sitting”. It was 19 feet high to the roof plate, and 31 feet from floor to ceiling. The estimated cost was £1,450.
At the time of the 1940 Statistical Returns it could seat 302, when it was described as being in Derwent View, Wesley Terrace. By 1970 worshippers required more personal space, as the accommodation was revised down to 160.
All three Methodist denominations built a chapel in Dipton, but the current Central Methodist church appears to be on the site of the former Primitive Methodist chapel. Perhaps someone can add to the story of this building?
Grid Ref: NZ158541
The British Architect and Northern Engineer Vol. 6, 1876 p 361
Statistical returns … as at July 1st 1940. Manchester: Methodist Church, Department of Chapel Affairs, 1947