Croxdale Wesleyan Methodist chapel

Croxdale Wesleyan Methodist chapel front view
Christopher Hill April 2022
Croxdale Wesleyan Methodist chapel side view
Christopher Hill April 2022
Croxdale Wesleyan Methodist chapel rear view
Christopher Hill April 2022
Croxdale Wesleyan Methodist chapel

Durham County Record Office contains a number of records of Croxdale Wesleyan Methodist chapel on Darlington Road.  The Office notes that the chapel on Darlington Road closed in 1938 and  reopened in 1946.

The records include a letter dated 28 February 1940 from J. K. Hope, Clerk to Durham County Council, enclosing a form to claim compensation for the use of the  vestry of Croxdale Darlington Road Methodist Church as an ARP post. The Office notes that Croxdale, Darlington Road (ex. Wesleyan) Methodist Church (closed 1938, reopened 1946).

A site visit in April 2022 showed the chapel undergoing extensive building work, with a new roof being fitted. Street View pictures from 2009 show the chapel boarded up and unchanged, with work starting by 2018.

When was the chapel built? It does not appear on the 1895 Ordnance Survey map, although the Primitive Methodist chapel almost opposite is in place by then.  The Wesleyan chapel is in place by the 1915 map. In April 2022 the datestone was obscured by scaffolding.

Comments about this page

  • The chapel was built in 1897, according to Kelly’s Directory of Durham 1914. The Wesleyan Methodist presence in Croxdale Colliery dates back a few more years, as one might expect. The Durham County Advertiser mentions a Sunday School in November 1893, and a choir in 1895 and 1896.

    By Philip Thornborow (09/06/2022)

Add a comment about this page

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *