Middleton in Teesdale is a service centre for the dale, so the Methodist cause has fared better than in the former lead mining areas further up the dales. This is a reversal of the position in Wesley’s time, when the lead mining areas deeper into the Pennines were a hotbed of early Methodism, whilst the society in Middleton struggled, and indeed ceased for a time. The membership in 1801 was only 9.
The current chapel was built by the Wesleyans in 1870 to seat 560, and in 1940 could seat 450. In the last few years the property has been redeveloped and revitalised, whilst being renamed ‘The Pathway’
Steele, Anthony The History of Methodism in Barnard Castle London: George Vickers, 1857
Returns of Accommodation 1873
Statistical Returns 1940