Spennymoor Wesleyan Methodist chapel

Spennymoor Wesleyan Methodist chapel in 1900
provided by Sue Gray
Spennymoor Wesleyan Schoolroom ool
provided by Sue Gray
location of former Spennymoor Wesleyan Methodist chapel

Thanks to Sue Gray for information about Wesleyan Chapel  at the corner of Bishop’s Close Row and Iron Works Road. Built in 1881 at a cost of £3,500, the chapel was demolished c.1960s. The chapel was the largest place of worship in the town and would accommodate 900 people.

Spennymoor Leisure Centre now stands on the site.

By the time the chapel was built, the Wesleyans already had, at a cost of £2,000, a school and an adjacent School House on the opposite side of the street.  The School House was originally intended for the  head teacher but later was home to the caretaker, who was also responsible for cleaning the chapel.

 

No Comments

Start the ball rolling by posting a comment on this page!

Add a comment about this page

Your email address will not be published.