Snettisham Wesleyan Methodist Chapel, Norfolk

Photo: D Secker

The first Wesleyan chapel here was of a very early date, 1801. It had sittings for 140 (196 by 1873).

Stones for a new chapel in Lynn Road were laid in November 1907, the building opening the following year. Described as C15th Gothic, it was built of carrstone with Bath stone dressings. Seating was for 350, while a schoolroom at the back accommodated a further 150. Architects were Gordon & Gunton (London), and the construction by Arthur Lincoln of Snettisham. The cost was in the region of £1,100.

The old chapel was purchased privately and used for a time as a school for adults.

Circuits: Walsingham Wesleyan; Hunstanton and Docking Methodist (post union); and West Norfolk. Methodist.

Decreasing numbers forced its closure by 2021.

Sources include
Wesleyan Returns of Accommodation 1873
Downham Market Gazette 7th December 1907

No Comments

Start the ball rolling by posting a comment on this page!

Add a comment about this page

Your email address will not be published.