Great Massingham Wesleyan Methodist Chapel, Norfolk

Photo D Secker

Standing on Weasenham Road, this was for long one of three Methodist chapels here. Of an early date (1827), It apparently seated from 155 to 200.

Enlarged in 1844 and 1849, with further alterations in 1892 including creating a Sunday school from what had been two rooms below the gallery – one of these was described as a former dwelling (or part of).

Splits in the membership occurred during the upheaval of the Wesleyan Reform movement. In 1850, the Reformers opened their own chapel in the village.

Following Methodist union in 1932 it dropped its defunct sectional title (just) in favour of “Wesley Chapel” – this to avoid confusing it with the other surviving (ex-Primitive) Methodist which became “Station Road Chapel”.

Circuits: Swaffham Wesleyan until 1932, and thereafter Swaffham Methodist.

It closed during the early years of the C21st, and was sold and converted by 2020. On the front elevation is the plaque: Wesleyan Chapel 1827.


Sources include
Census of Religious Worship (Norfolk): Edited J Ede and N Virgoe 1998
Lynn News 29th October 1892
Methodist Church Buildings: Statistical Returns 1940

No Comments

Start the ball rolling by posting a comment on this page!

Add a comment about this page

Your email address will not be published.