Until the rise of the Victorian seaside resort (New Hunstanton), there was little in the way of Nonconformist chapels. The Wesleyans had a chapel from 1836 (still there in 1851) which appears to have been in what is now Old Hunstanton.
By 1870, Nonconformists were using the “refreshment rooms” near the station until the opening of the Union Chapel, this accommodating all denominations including Methodists. However, the Wesleyans eventually provided their own place of worship by erecting an iron building in 1889, with seating for 250 persons.
A few years later, the structure was replaced by the present chapel built alongside it in Austin Street. Foundation stones were laid in July 1895, and the building opened in May 1896. The date and name are engraved in the stone above the main entrance: 1896 Wesley Church.
Remaining open for services and social events, it has the benefit of a hall with modern amenities, and a car park. It is now in the West Norfolk Methodist circuit.
Census of Religious Worship 1851: Edited J Ede and N Virgoe 1998
Norwich Mercury 6th August 1870