Downham Market Wesleyan Methodist Chapel, Norfolk

D Secker

The extant building of 1813* is situated on Cannon Square (Hogge Hill), Lynn Road. It has a gault-brick front elevation with parapet and pediment.

Major improvements carried out in 1866 included a new roof, seating, vestries and enlarged Sunday school accommodation. Re-opening took place on Sunday 21st October that year. Seating capacity is recorded as 580 (1873) and 318 (1940).

Costloe & Son of Isleham erected a two-manual pipe organ in 1875-76 and placed it on a gallery. Following the chapel’s closure the instrument went to Feltwell Methodist church.

Further work in 1881, internally and externally, saw the entrance porch added – a hexagram can be seen on a stone above its door. New schoolrooms were opened in 1894.

In 1910, a visiting preacher had his sermon rudely interrupted during morning worship. The sermon, presumably politically charged, was challenged by a congregant who then left the building. A sermon few would have forgotten!

As a consequence of the amalgamation of the town’s three Methodist churches, the ex-Wesleyan closed in 1964 and is now a private residence. Today, Methodism in Downham is served by the church built in Paradise Road in 1966.

*Build date also given as 1810. The date above is taken from a report in 1881.


Sources include
Norfolk Chronicle 27th October 1866
Norwich Mercury 19th February 1876
Weslyan Returns of Accommodation 1873
Norwich Mercury 22nd January 1881

No Comments

Start the ball rolling by posting a comment on this page!

Add a comment about this page

Your email address will not be published.