Sedgeford Wesleyan Methodist Chapel, Norfolk

Photo: D Secker

Built in 1830, this former chapel stands on Docking Road. It had a seating capacity of up to 129.

There is a possibility that the Wesleyan Reformers temporarily took control circa 1850. The Census of Religious Worship (1851) appears to list this place as a Reform chapel – the Wesleyans of Sedgeford have no entry in that census.

Whatever the case, the chapel was seemingly under Wesleyan control by 1854.
Soon after Methodist union (1932), it became the sole Methodist in the village following the closure of the Primitive.

Circuits: Walsingham Wesleyan; Hunstanton & Docking Methodist (post union); and West Norfolk Methodist.

The chapel closed during the first decade of the C21st and is now a dwelling.

Sources include
White’s Directory of Norfolk 1854
Census of Religious Worship 1851: Edited J Ede and N Virgoe 1998
Wesleyan Returns of Accommodation 1873

No Comments

Start the ball rolling by posting a comment on this page!

Add a comment about this page

Your email address will not be published.