The building illustrated was designed by Edward Appleton , and built on Rock Road in 1853. It replaced the first Wesleyan chapel in Torquay, which had stood in Swan Street since 1807.
It was built to seat 500, but by 1873 the capacity had increased to 700. The description of the building in the contemporary architectural press states that it was a simple six bay design, with internal dimensions of 66 feet by 41 feet. The fittings were more ornate: the pulpit was octagonal, buttressed and approached by a double staircase; the communion railing was formed of ornamental scrolled wrought-iron, as were the pulpit stair rails, and an organ “of suitable design” by Dickes of Exeter, was installed. All of which were advertised for sale in 1881 when the chapel closed, two other large chapels in Babbacombe Road and Union Street having recently been built.
Edward Appleton (1832-1916) was himself a nonconformist by birth, and he was also responsible for the design of the Quaker Meeting Houses in Torquay and Exeter.
Grid Ref: SX917638
Reference: The Civil Engineer and Architect’s Journal. Vol. XVII, 1854, p161