The Wesleyan cause in Ilfracombe was doing so well by 1897 that they needed to replace the chapel in The Ropery (only erected in 1864 ) with a new one.
The new site was in Wilder Road, and the local architect W.H. Gould was commissioned.
The new church seated 600 and continues in use to this day. In 1987 the local Methodists entered into a Local Ecumenical Partnership with the United Reformed Church, and the building was renamed Emmanuel. The church website tells the story and includes photographs.