A family history enquiry from Australia prompted the exploration of Wesleyan Methodism in Devonport.
Morice Street Wesleyan Methodist chapel, in Devonport, Plymouth was opened in 1807. It appears on Ordnance Survey maps of the area, dated 1854-63. 1892 and 1912 on the west side of Morice Street, between the junctions with Granby Street and Cannon Street. By the 1926 map the building is still there but is labelled Ass(embly) R(oo)ms rather than Methodist chapel. This is because in 1926 the chapel was replaced by Plymouth Methodist Central Hall.
There is a car park on the site in 2023.
What’s the story here?