The first Wesleyan chapel in Newton Abbot was on Mill Lane, and built in 1817. The society moved to a new site on Courteney Street in 1848, and rebuilt in 1867. This is the building illustrated. In 1966 the decision was taken to merge the two societies in Newton Abbot, and a new church was built on The Avenue. This building was subsequently demolished, and a Woolworths was built on the site.
The 1873 Returns of accommodation record that the chapel could seat 570. At the time of the 1940 Statistical Returns, it could seat 870.
Grid Ref: SX859713
Reference: The fifteenth annual report of the Wesleyan Chapel Committee, 1869 page 125