Oakham, Dean's Lane Wesleyan Methodist Chapel, Rutland

Oakham, Dean’s Lane Wesleyan Methodist Chapel was built in 1811. Application was made to the Chapel Committee for permission to enlarge and improve the chapel in 1818-19. An application to make a further enlargement costing £200 was submitted in 1831 but disallowed although a second application later in the year to lengthen the chapel by 26 feet at a cost of £50 was accepted. By 1860 the original building and subsequent extensions and alterations had cost £660. In 1851 the chapel provided 100 free and 200 other sittings. The Wesleyans moved to their new chapel in Northgate Street in 1866 and building was taken over by the Primitive Methodists. They merged with the Wesleyans shortly after Methodist union in 1932 and the building was demolished in 1936.The chapel was situated in the south side of Dean’s Street a little to the east of Finkey Lane (grid ref SK857088)

Sources
The National Archives,1851 ecclesiastical census HO129/419/1/29
John Rylands Library University of Manchester DDPD58 Applications to the Chapels Committee for permission to build, extend or sell Chapels, 1817 – 1830, B4, 757, 771
John Rylands Library University of Manchester,DDPD88 Chapel/Trust Schedules, 1855, Melton Mowbray Circuit
Leicestershire Record Office, N/M/NDD 1-15, Annual trust returns, Nottingham and Derby District 1860-1878
Webb, Nigel, Rutland nonconformist chapels and meetings

No Comments

Start the ball rolling by posting a comment on this page!

Add a comment about this page

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *